
Russia continues to attack Ukraine, moreover, in the midst of negotiations for a peace plan for the conflict. Moscow launched this weekend A new wave of attacks against Kiev with 38 missiles and more than 700 drones Which left at least four dead and dozens wounded. The new attack, which occurred early Saturday morning and Sunday morning, also affected the capital’s electricity systems, with half a million people affected during the first night and left without electricity service for hours.
The first of these attacks occurred on Saturday morning. Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky announced early in the morning, denouncing the events, that “the Russians launched about 36 missiles and about 600 drones.” Your Foreign Minister He also spoke of a “rough night” across the cityEven across the country, after sirens began sounding in the early hours of the morning with the arrival of drones in the capital, prompting the authorities to urge residents to head to underground shelters.
However, the first night left at least three dead and more than thirty wounded. Fires, destruction of building facades, and collapsing rubble in transit areas. In addition to civilian residential buildings, the Russian attack also targeted Ukraine’s energy infrastructure, leaving Kiev without electricity. Half a million people were affected They were cut off from power supplies for hours across the city, a figure to which must be added another 100,000 people affected in other parts of the region and another 8,000 in Kharkiv. However, the authorities confirmed shortly after the return of electricity.
But the attack doubled on Sunday, and although this time it did not affect electricity services, the second round of this attack struck the Ukrainian capital. More than 122 attack drones, most of them Shahed, and two ballistic missiles. Although the Ukrainian forces were able to demolish most of them, according to Zelensky, the bombing killed one person and injured 19 others, after the main target was again residential buildings.
One of the most prominent incidents was the shooting by Russian drones Opposite a high-rise building It is located in the Vyshgorod region, which caused a major fire that forced all its residents to evacuate. Other residential homes and even a company headquarters were also damaged. In addition to the capital, the regions of Kharkiv (east of the country), Dnipropetrovsk (south-east of the country), Sumy (north), Kherson and Odessa (south) were also attacked. In Sumy, in fact, Yes, there have been new power outages After drones hit civilian infrastructure. The head of the military administration of this region said, “The aggressor continues to try to deprive people of their basic living conditions, and cynically attacks civilian infrastructure.”
Zelensky also emphasized on his social networks that these types of attacks happen every day. “This week alone, the Russians have used approx 1,400 attack drones, 1,100 guided bombs, and 66 missiles Against our people,” he said.
Meeting in Florida to achieve the peace plan
The Moscow attack coincided with a time when attempts were being made to negotiate an end to hostilities. This Sunday, Ukrainian and American authorities met in Florida To continue working on the peace plan based on a 28-point document prepared secretly by US President Donald Trump with Russia. Last week, Ukraine and the United States decided to meet in the Swiss city of Geneva to discuss this plan and make amendments to it.
Although it was not revealed publicly on what points had been changed or in what way, at that meeting the demands of the European powers for an end to the war, which they regretted being excluded from those negotiations, were also made at that meeting. The main obstacles to these talks between all parties are precisely… To control the Ukrainian regions under Russian controlThe future of the Ukrainian Armed Forces or the possible integration of Kyiv into NATO. After this meeting, delegates from Washington and Kiev were pleased with the progress made by the negotiations and it remains to be seen how potential agreements will proceed now on Sunday.
Secretary of the Ukrainian Security Council, Rustam Omerov, posted on his social networks that “the meeting between the Ukrainian delegation and the American side on the steps that must be taken to achieve a just peace has begun in the United States.” “We have clear orders and priorities: Protecting Ukrainian interests and ensuring a substantive dialogue Building on the progress made in Geneva. He added: “We are working to ensure real and reliable peace in Ukraine, with long-term security guarantees.”
In the same vein, Zelensky stressed on Saturday that the “task” regarding these negotiations is “clear and fast”: Preparing to define the steps to end the war. He added, “Ukraine continues to work as constructively as possible with the United States.”
Within the framework of this new meeting, North American Secretary of State Marco Rubio, who is also in Florida, stated that the target is ultimately Ukraine. Be “independent and sovereign”. “Obviously the goal is not just to end the war, although that is central and fundamental. It is about ending the war in such a way that there is a mechanism and a way for it to be independent and sovereign. I hope it will never witness another war, and I hope it will generate tremendous prosperity He told the press: “For the sake of its people, not only reconstruction, but the entry into an era of extraordinary economic progress for the country.”
According to sources reported by American media, Washington hopes to achieve important progress on Sunday. Kyiv also hopes to be able to do so Arranging a meeting between Zelensky and Trump himself During the coming weeks, we will discuss the most important details of the agreement. After that, special emphasis is placed on His visit next week to Moscow Trump’s special envoy Steve Witkoff, who will meet with Vladimir Putin to present all the changes negotiated with Ukraine. In their hands is the potential end to the conflict that has been going on for nearly four years.