Netanyahu submits an official request for pardon – DW – 11/30/2025

The Israeli government said today, Sunday (11/30/2025), that Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who is facing trial on corruption charges, has submitted a formal request for pardon to President Isaac Herzog.

A statement issued by Herzog’s office said, “The Office of the President recognizes that this is an exceptional request that carries important implications. After receiving all relevant opinions, the President will consider the request responsibly and conscientiously.”

In a video clip published by his agencies, Netanyahu said he was convinced that “the immediate conclusion of the trial will go a long way toward calming tensions and promoting general reconciliation,” which Israel “desperately needs.”

Earlier this month, US President Donald Trump wrote to the Israeli president asking him to pardon Netanyahu, who has repeatedly denied any wrongdoing in ongoing court proceedings.

P AFP/Reuters