A Russian drone airstrike in the Ukrainian capital early Saturday morning killed at least one person and injured seven others, as well as causing extensive property damage, authorities said.
Agence France-Presse journalists heard strong explosions around midnight in central Kiev, which the city’s mayor, Vitali Klitschko, blamed on Moscow.
The head of the city’s military administration, Timur Tkachenko, said via the Telegram messaging application: “The death of a person has been confirmed,” most likely a “man.” He also reported “seven injuries, including a teenager.”
His administration later expressed regret that the “cynical terrorist attack launched by the Russian Federation” targeted nine locations in five districts of the capital. Tkachenko declared that this was “an attempt by the Russians to simply terrorize the civilian population.”
The mayor of Kiev had previously indicated that there was a 13-year-old child among those infected and urged residents to remain in shelters.
At least two residential buildings, one of which was 25 stories high, a house and several cars, were damaged, authorities said.
Earlier this week, loud explosions rocked Kiev overnight, as Russian drones and missiles struck the capital, sparking fires in residential buildings. City authorities indicated that seven people died.
Russia launched its large-scale invasion of Ukraine in February 2022, leading to the worst armed conflict in Europe since World War II.