The collapse of a new landfill hit a stream and polluted water

Exactly 160 days after the first collapse of the Ouro Verde landfill located in Padre Bernardo (GO), the landfill once again recorded not only a new landslide of waste, but the third landslide in less than 15 days. This time, the falling trash reached the Santa Barbara Stream.

The accident once again disturbed the routine of life of about 20,000 residents of Monte Alto, the Padre Bernardo area where the garbage dump is located. This is because, with the new collapse of the stream, the residents of the region, especially those living near the dump, began to see a reality far from normalizing the use of river water for their own or commercial consumption (farms, livestock, agriculture). Water use from this stream had already been halted since June 19, when the first landslide occurred.

In the video above, some residents living on farms near the landfill recorded what the water looked like after the latest collapse, which was recorded on Tuesday (11/25). Colored like clay, the dirty water brought garbage to their owners’ farms.

“Feeling abandoned”

This is how a resident near the dump explained how the community feels about the new collapse.

The citizen, who requested to remain anonymous, confirmed once again that everything that had happened since the first episode was a “declared tragedy,” stressing that she knew that the place would be exposed to more collapses.

He added: “Our feeling of abandonment by all public bodies. This also causes a lot of anger and hatred because we have been dealing with this issue for many years. But nothing has been done so far and nothing will be done. We are here in a critical situation.”

Housewife Joana Santana (75 years old) highlighted that after the two new collapses, the strong smell of garbage returned to her house again and the “fly nightmare” returned to her house.

She says that when she decided she needed it, she had to leave because she “couldn’t take it” and her health suffered again. Due to the strong smell, Joanna began to experience frequent bouts of headaches, nausea, and nausea.

He said: “Every day that passes, my health is getting worse. I have to take six tablets because of the bad smell. It is a sad situation because we now live in a place where I can no longer even eat.”

The volume of garbage in the new landslide is more than 3 thousand tons

According to the State Secretariat for the Environment and Sustainable Development of Goiás (Semad-GO), there is still no conclusive information regarding the volume that collapsed. He added in a note, “What is known is that the garbage is partially blocking the course of the Santa Barbara River that passes through the project, and that its volume is greater than that caused by the second landslide that occurred on November 12 (3 thousand tons).”

to Capitals The Oro Verde company responsible for the landfill stated that as a result of the rain that fell on Monday (24) and Tuesday (25), the accumulation of water caused the collapse. According to the company, the mass movement occurred in the previously isolated area and there was no expansion into the previously affected area.

But this position is contested by society. Residents posted photos showing the riverbed being damaged and garbage spread throughout the area. In the records it is possible to observe a large amount of bags and household rubbish and in some photographs also appear syringes and medicine bottles.

The collapse of a new landfill hit a stream and polluted water - highlights of the photo gallery6 photosLandslide debris still comes from the first disposal pile since the first landslide occurred.Over the years, the landfill has received several reports of violations.Until March of this year, the landfill was operated by an injunction issued by the Federal Regional Court for the First District (TRF-1), after being prohibited from carrying out its activities in 2023.At the landfill, most of the waste deposited was medical waste.More than 62 thousand tons of garbage collapsed in the first episode. Four months later, its removal was completeConditional closure.Capitals1 of 6

The third collapse occurred in the early hours of Monday (24) and Tuesday (25).

Image provided to Metropoles2 from 6

Landslide debris still comes from the first disposal pile since the first landslide occurred.

Image provided to Metropoles3 of 6

Over the years, the landfill has received several reports of violations.

Image provided to Metropoles4 of 6

Until March of this year, the landfill was operated by an injunction issued by the Federal Regional Court for the First District (TRF-1), after being prohibited from carrying out its activities in 2023.

Image provided to Metropoles5 of 6

At the landfill, most of the waste deposited was medical waste.

Image provided to Metropoles6 of 6

More than 62 thousand tons of garbage collapsed in the first episode. Four months later, its removal was complete

Image provided to Metropoles

Also according to Ouro Verde, water quality monitoring in the Santa Barbara River continues with technical precision and constant monitoring by environmental teams. However, the company did not provide details about the current water situation.

It is important to note that despite the new pollution, there is no connection between the river’s watercourse and the Rio d’Escoberto, which is responsible for supplying part of the Federal District, according to the Federal District Water, Energy and Basic Sanitation Regulatory Agency (Adasa).

However, the Santa Bárbara River is part of the Tocantins-Araguaya Basin and flows toward the Serra da Mesa Hydropower Station, which is the main concern regarding possible displacement of waste and leachates.

Read also

  • circumference

    The waste dump in the vicinity of the city of Al Dhalea is subjected to another collapse, the second in 12 days
  • circumference

    Tragedy at the landfill: More than 13 thousand tons of garbage have already been removed
  • circumference

    Surroundings: The collapsed landfill is operating with an invalid environmental license

What will be done?

At the time of the first collapse, while removing waste, the administration’s secretary, Andrea Vulcanis, confirmed that “with every passing day, there is greater pollution.” Semad-GO informed that a new violation notice is being written by the management and will be delivered to the company.

Ouro Verde said in a statement that waste removal operations have already begun. According to the company, they will be transferred to the cell built from the first collapse. He added, “The area is still under continuous geotechnical monitoring by specialized teams, although the progress of work on the fronts is temporarily conditional on the current weather restrictions.”

Ouro Verde promised new measures aimed at stabilizing the site:

  • Installation of pipes designed to relieve internal pressure, with gas and slurry drainage;
  • Slope restoration and stabilization works are necessary to ensure structural integrity during the rainy season.

The Public Ministry is monitoring the case

The Public Ministry of Goiás (MPGO) said it has been notified of the recent landslides and is awaiting the required technical report from Semad-GO to accurately assess the dimensions and impacts of the new rings.

In a note to CapitalsThe MP stressed that all appropriate measures by the authority have already been taken within its responsibilities and that it is still awaiting the response of the judiciary in the measure proposed in 2021, which seeks to ensure appropriate remediation and compensation for environmental damage. “New procedures may be adopted after analysis of the updated technical reports,” the MPGO stated.